mercoledì 27 settembre 2017

English B2: Appendix 2

Phrasal Verbs for B2

What follows is a list of highly frequently used phrasal verbs in B2 context. We recommend memorising them in order to a better chance of passing the exam.

to be fed up with
to be bored/frustrated with [sth/smb]:
I’m so fed up with this weather – it hasn’t stopped raining for days!
to be in
to be at home/in the building:
‘Hello, can I speak to Mark please?’
I’m sorry, he’s not in right now, can I take a message?’
to be over
to be finished:
The lesson’s over, you can go now.
to be up
to be out of bed:
I’m going to make some eggs for breakfast, is Chris up yet?
to explode:
They blew the bridges up so the enemy couldn’t cross the river.
to cease to work properly:
My car broke down and I had to call to a taxi to get home.
to break into [sth]
to enter by force:
The burglar broke into the house through the window and stole all the jewellery.
to begin:
All the men were drunk and after their team lost the match a fight broke out in the pub.
to break up (with)
to terminate (often a relationship):
Did you hear that Lionel and Julie broke up?
1) to educate:
She brought her children up as Catholics but they converted to Judaism later in life.
2) to mention:
At the meeting the president brought up the question of the increasing company debt.
to cancel:
The tennis match was called off due to the heavy rain.
to care about
to be interested in [sth]:
I don’t care about money, I just want a job that I enjoy.
to carry on doing [sth]
(OR: to go on;
OR: to keep on)
to continue:
In spite of the heavy rain, we just carried on walking.
to perform duties:
The Sergeant gives the orders and the soldiers carry them out.
to shut permanently (a shop or business):
I used to go the cinema every week but the movie theatre near my house closed down last year so now I hardly ever go to the movies.
to find by accident:
When I was looking for my passport, I came across these old photos.
to arrive at/think of an idea:
We didn’t know how to raise the money, then Mike came up with the idea of creating a web site to collect funds.
to cut down (on):
to lessen the use of:
I really have to cut down on coffee, I drink too many cups a day.
(OR: to work out)
to understand something after much thought:
I couldn’t understand the dvd instructions for setting the timer, then after reading it for the 4th time, I figured it out.
to fill in / out
to complete (forms)
To register at the university you have to fill in/fill out this form and take it to the registry office.
to find out
to discover/to come to know:
When she found out that her colleague had stolen the company money, she was shocked.
to get into/get out of
to enter and to exit a vehicle (e.g. a car, a taxi etc.):
The taxi stopped at the taxi rank, an elderly man got out of the car, paid the driver, then I got into the taxi and said ‘the airport please’.
to get on/get off
to enter and exit a means of transport (bus, boat, plane, train):
Everybody got on the plane and took their seats, but then there was a bomb scare so we all had to get off the plane in a hurry while security carried out checks.
to get on (with)
to have a good relationship:
I get on with all my colleagues.
to get out
to escape:
Don’t worry about the snake, it can’t get out of the box.
to get over
to recover from a difficult moment:
It took her years to get over the death of her son.
to get rid of
to remove from one’s life/possession:
I decided to get rid of all my old shoes so I gave them to charity.
to give up
1) to quit:
I gave up smoking years ago.
2) to abandon an attempt:
I tried to learn to play the violin but after a few months I gave up.
to go on
to happen:
What’s going on here? Why is everybody laughing?
to go through
1) to experience something unpleasant:
After going through 3 operations, William had become extremely skinny and weak.
2) to examine:
Go through all these documents and see if there are any mistakes.
to hand in
to give by hand:
I finished the test and handed it in to the teacher.
to hand out
to distribute:
The tour guide handed out maps to all the group.
to let [sb] down
to disappoint:
Denise really let me down, when she told me that she wasn’t going to help me
to look after
to be responsible for:
I’m looking after my friend’s cat, while she’s away on vacation.
to look for
to search:
I spent months looking for a new job before I found one.
to look forward to
to expect with pleasure:
We’re all looking forward to meeting our son’s new girlfriend.
to look out
(OR: to watch out)
to beware of some kind of danger:
Look out! A car’s coming!
to look up to
to admire/to respect:
The professor is extremely knowledgeable and all the students look up to him.
to look down on
to have no regard for:
Maria thinks that her husband’s rich family look down on her because she comes from a very modest background.
to make sense (of)
1) to be logical:
He bought a car but he still takes the bus everywhere he goes, that doesn’t make sense!
2) to understand:
He tried explaining the problem to me but I can’t make sense of anything he says.
to make up
to invent:
I don’t believe his story – I think he’s just making it up.
to make up one’s mind
to decide:
Should I buy the red suit or the blue one? I can’t make up my mind!
to pick up
1) to lift something, usually from the ground:
I found a 50 Euro bill on the street, but when I picked it up I realized it was fake.
2) to collect someone from someplace:
Call me when you get to the station so I can come and pick you up.
to point out
to indicate:
Show me your map of Paris and I’ll point out the fastest way to walk to the Eiffel Tower.
to put back
to return to the original place:
You can use my calculator, when you’re done please put it back in the drawer.
to put off
to postpone:
The meeting was supposed to be Monday at 3 o’clock but it’s been put off to Tuesday morning.
to put on
to dress oneself with an article of clothes:
I put on my tracksuit and went running.
to put out
to extinguish:
There’s no smoking in here – please put out that cigarette.
to put up with
to accept and tolerate [sth/sb]:
I live on a busy street so I have to put up with a lot of noisy traffic.
to run into
to meet unexpectedly:
I ran into my ex-boyfriend while I was shopping at the mall last week.
to run out of [sth]
to have none left:
I tried to stay calm while babysitting the children but I ran out of patience and screamed at them when they broke the vase
to set off
to depart:
The family set off on their holiday from Heathrow airport
to set up
to establish:
When Debora lost her job she decided to set up a new business with her sister
to take after
to resemble, usually referred to character
Brian takes after his father, they’re both very generous
to take off
1) to remove:
Can you please take off your shoes before coming into the living room?
2) to leave the ground (airplanes)
Our plane took off at 3 o’clock.
to take up
to begin a hobby, sport or new endeavour:
He took up golf and has become obsessed by the game
to throw away/out
to put in the rubbish bin:
Please throw away/throw out your empty soda cans before leaving the room.
to try on
to see if clothes fit:
I loved that jumper but I tried it on and it didn’t suit me at all so I didn’t buy it
to turn down
to reject:
Peter has asked Maria out 3 times and she’s always turned him down.
to turn out
to reveal to be:
He seemed like an honest person but then he turned out to be a crook.
to turn up/turn down (volume)
to raise and lower:
Can you please turn down that music and turn up the air conditioning?
to turn up (or: to show up)
to arrive for an appointment:
If you hadn’t turned up/showed up late, we wouldn’t have missed our train.
to wear out
to consume through use:
I need a new pair of shoes, these are really worn out.

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento