mercoledì 3 maggio 2017

Conditional: Tenses and Use

Thursday, 23rd March 2017
Lingua e traduzione inglese I

0 Conditional

PATTERN: [If + present simple or continuous] + [present]
EXPLANATION: We use 0 conditional, when something is always or generally true: a (scientific) fact.
If you boil water, it evaporates.
My son doesn’t go out, if he doesn’t study.
NB: You can substitute if with whether.

1st Conditional

PATTERN: [If + present simple] + [will/might]
EXPLANATION: We use 1st conditional for likely or probable situations.
If tomorrow is a sunny day, I will take a walk in the park.
NB: When you use a conditional of any kind, you can move the order of the clauses, BUT not the tense.
I will take a walk in the park, if tomorrow is a sunny day. OK!
If tomorrow will be a sunny day, I take a walk in the park. NO!


2nd Conditional

PATTERN: [If + past simple or continuous] + [would/might + base form]
EXPLANATION: We use the 2nd conditional for unreal and unlikely situations in present.
If I received a sudden windfall, I would quick working and travel around the world.
NB: In the if-clause of 2nd conditional, you can use both the past simple form of to be, that is to say both was and were.
If I were you, I’d look for a new place to live. (UK)
If I was you, I’d look for a new place to live. (US)
However the former is more preferable and ‘sophisticated’ than the latter.

3rd Conditional

PATTERN: [if + past perfect] + [would have + past participle]
EXPLANATION: We use the 3rd conditional for past situations (including regrets):
If you had come to the party, you would have had a great time.

◄ Previous Lesson
Next Lesson 

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento